Home cast blarney photo recipes Contact

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Truth is the safest lie

A lie (also called prevarication), is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement, especially with the intention to deceive others, often with the further intention to maintain a secret or reputation, protect someone's feelings or to avoid a punishment...

Now, I really dislike lying... Do not get me wrong I have lied and will most likely lie again; no one is perfect... Oh and if someone tells you they have never lied... Well, they are lying... Most lies are to ourselves and often seen as excuses...

So, I try to instill in my children that telling the truth is better than lying... However, we all know kids will be kids and there is nothing we can do about that but have patience and continue to love them...

This weekend the amount of lies coming from my Wee Man was too much for me... Let me start the scene for you...

It was a gloomy rainy day... Inside the Shenanigans kitchen we find Mom fixing some colored pasta for Lil Kiwi while Wee Man played....

"Mom, can I have colored pasta to eat?"

"No, you are having what your father and I are having"

"Okay, after I finish my colored pasta can I have a snack?"

"No, you can NOT have colored pasta.. you are eating what your father and I are.. and no snacks"

"Okay, so when I finish my colored pasta can I have an apple?"

This goes on for while... That is until he discovered the chocolate bars my DH left in a bag on the counter top...

"Mom, when I'm done with my colored pasta... I think... I think I can have one of these...*sniffing chocolate bar*"

"No, you are not having colored pasta and why are you smelling the chocolate?"

"To see what it smells like.. what does it smell like?

"Well, Wee Man it smells like chocolate you know what chocolate smells like..."

he puts them back (or so I thought) and heads to the living room to play (or so I thought once again)...A few minutes later I head out to see how he is doing.. Surprised to see he is playing in his room... I knock on the door and he turns... This is where everything went down hill..

His face is covered in chocolate... his hands are covered in chocolate... even the back of his shirt has chocolate on it... I'm really not sure how he got it on the back and no where else...

"Did you have chocolate?"

"No.... No... I didn't have chocolate"

"Okay, I'm giving you one chance to tell the truth and not lie... Did you eat any chocolate... You aren't in trouble... I would just like to know..."

"*shakes head* nope I didn't have chocolate."

Knowing full well what must have happened I point out the chocolate evidence... He looks shocked and covers his mouth.... Yet STILL denies eating the chocolate...

Once I get him to admit to eating chocolate; I started with trying to find the wrapper because if he had that much on him I needed to clean the area where the wrapper was... You know what... That little stinker LIED to me again..

"Okay so you ate the chocolate I'm not mad at you for that but I am upset you lied to me... Now could you please tell me where the wrapper is.."

"What wrapper" *looks up at me with chocolate still on his face and hands*

"You know the plastic the chocolate was in... the wrapper... what you had to take off to get to the chocolate... where is it"

"oh.....*sits and thinks* In there... *points to the garage can behind me*"

So, I look... Nope no wrapper... Ask him again not to lie to me and just tell me where the wrapper is since he already told me he ate the chocolate...

"It's in there.. hmmm under the water bottle"

I look... I know it's not there but I look because I'm hoping I missed it... Zip... Nyet.. Nothing

"My pockets... I think"

His father walks in and has the strangest look on his face because I'm holding Wee Man and telling him to talk to him... As the story unfolds DH starts to laugh and I'm giving him the look... You know the one you give when you want someone to just stop laughing and keep a straight face... He looks at me strange and then gets the hint... He takes Wee Man to get cleaned up and I go in search of the WRAPPER!

I head to his room and look around.. AH his trash bag.... Right there on top of his trash is a chocolaty brown wrapper... I take the wrapper and head for the kitchen... Thankful that he actually put it in the trash and not in his bed under the sheets...

Now here is the last straw for me... After he LIED to me about eating it.... he LIED to me where the wrapper is... then... OHHHH then he tried to get rid of the wrapper!!!

I'm taking care of Lil Kiwi and telling DH how I'm not upset about the chocolate but I am about the LIES... In the background you hear Wee Man in his room getting dressed...

*rustle rustle.... frantic rustling.... gasp*

I sit there thinking... okay he knows I found it and will come in here..... tell me sorry and we can hug and all be happy... Nope....

"I'm dressed.... and I looked ALL OVER my room but couldn't find a wrapper... Not even in my trash... Nope no wrapper in my trash..."

*sigh* Where oh where did I go wrong... I know he is only 4 almost 5 years old but still I would think he would have the sense to tell the truth... Do I need to push it more or do I need to back off... He's a young boy they do that.... All these thought are rushing through my head...

So, I do what all of us do... I call my Mom... Tell her of my failure... Tell her how her grandson just lied over and over and then tried to get rid of the wrapper... You know what she did... She LAUGHED.... and laughed... Told me that was the hardest she had laughed in a long time.... and then the famous last words...

"hmmm looks like I need to teach my grandson how to eat chocolate without making a mess"

OMGOODNESS!!!


It's moments like this that I'm glad I can see the humor in life...

0 comments:

Post a Comment